Pages

Sunday, June 6, 2010

: The Question Of Prayer

 When I set this year aside to discover a new way of being I made up my mind to travel light without a lot of preconceived ideas. On THE JOURNEY I have become brave enough to land at the end of what little I know about a number of things.

With that in mind I was considering what I had been taught about prayer and what I actually believe. About that time a facebook friend posted this question,"If you ask someone for prayer and they say, "I will be sending positive thoughts your way...is that prayer?" Some were quick to answer 'No, certainly not!" others were just as quick to say, "Yes, definitely!"
 I didn't comment, but I expect it depends on what is in the heart of the sender.

While thinking about that I realized that one of the ways I pray for others is to get real quiet within, then ask God to intervene in the situation and bless them. After that I think about the people involved in a positive way fully expecting Him to show them His love, mercy, and wisdom. So I guess I do both...I ask God to help and then send them the positive thoughts. To me that is an act of faith.

I also agree with Steve Wickham's Notes, posted a few days ago, that prayer is a conversation. He wrote, "I confess that I don't actually pray aloud that much, but I do converse with God on a fairly continual basis.... So prayer is not always about having our eyes closed and heavenward and speaking aloud. But it is about seeking God's will through a conversation with him." I would add that half of a conversation is listening.  I have been known to sit in a field of dandelions and pray. Or on a rock in the desert.

Gracie my friend, and co-author of -Family Secrets, sent me an email this week. She is reading a book called,"Becoming a Women of Prayer" by Cynthia Heald. The scripture the author used was Jeremiah 33:3 Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know." The introduction, written by Martin Smith, posed these questions...

~What if God does not demand prayers as much as gives prayers?
~What if God wants prayer in order to satisfy us?
~What if prayer is a means of God nourishing,restoring, healing, and converting us?
~Suppose prayer is primarily allowing ourselves to be loved, addressed and claimed by God.
~What if praying means opening ourselves to the gift of God's own self and presence?
~What if our part in prayer is primarily letting God be giver?
~Suppose prayer is not a duty but the opportunity to experience healing and transforming love?"

Hmmmm ... Now that might be something to think about.

Another FB friend posted this..."Our task is faithfully to open ourselves to the wonders in every moment and the possibilities for transformation in every encounter." ~~Dr. Bruce Epperly

In The Search For Peace I wrote about tears being liquid prayers.

I was reminded of another form of prayer when I received an early mornig call from my son Michael. Their friends Jon and Mel McConico's baby boy had just been born at 25 weeks. He weighed 1lb. 6oz. Just after the birth the new mommy began singing from her hospital bed, "Great is Thy faithfulness...great is Thy faithfulness...morning by morning new mercies I see....All I have needed Thy hands hath provided...Great is The faithfulness Lord unto me." My son said it was a heart touching holy moment.
We asked our FB friends who knew this song to please sing it as a prayer and praise for the little man's well being. A few days later my son had the honor of dedicating Nehemiah David McConico to God. He is gaining weight and doing well.
This is a video of Nehemiah the day he was born...the day his mother sang her prayer for him.
http://www.facebook.com/chapmangroup?v=wall&ref=ts#!/video/video.php?v=1375868488180&ref=share

AND THIS IS HIM  NOW! (:
GOD IS GOOD!

4 comments:

  1. Gives me a lot to think about Wanda! Thanks for sharing! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Wanda... What a lovely post, all of it is just beatiful, and the story of the pre mature baby brought tears to my eyes.. Thank you for touching my heart today.
    Love Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tami, Cindy and Darlene...so glad it blessed you. Each of you are so precious to me and God.
    Love, love, and always love! (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nehemiah is just so beautiful. So tiny. And his every day already written since time began. How great is our God.
    Loved your writing on prayer. I find myself in what I guess you would call constant prayer- continual comments, thoughts, praise, requests throughout the day- He is ever present. I never feel alone.

    ReplyDelete